The father of Amazon and the world’s richest man, Jeff Bezos, came under fire – no pun intended – not long ago after people saw his $1 million dollar donation to the Australian wildfires as too small. However, it seems like he is about the shut those same people up, a consequence of pledging $10bn (£7.7bn) to help fight climate change in general.

Specifically, Bezos stated that the money would be used by scientists, activists and other groups which aim to reduce the strain humans are putting the planet under. In fact, Bezos stated that: “I want to work alongside others both to amplify known ways and to explore new ways of fighting the devastating impact of climate change.”

He continued to explain his donation via Instagram, writing that he would start distributing the money this summer. As well as this he noted that “We can save Earth.” however, it would take “collective action from big companies, small companies, nation-states, global organisations, and individuals.”

Mr Bezos has an estimated net worth of more than $130bn, so this pledge represents almost 8% of his fortune. Some would still see the figure of 8% and say that it’s not enough, however, the remaining 92% is what is keeping Amazon afloat as well as financing the Blue Origin space programme. Furthermore, back in September of 2018 he also donated $2bn to help homeless families and fund schools.

You can read Jeff Bezos’ full Instagram post below.

View this post on Instagram

Today, I’m thrilled to announce I am launching the Bezos Earth Fund.⁣⁣⁣ ⁣⁣⁣ Climate change is the biggest threat to our planet. I want to work alongside others both to amplify known ways and to explore new ways of fighting the devastating impact of climate change on this planet we all share. This global initiative will fund scientists, activists, NGOs — any effort that offers a real possibility to help preserve and protect the natural world. We can save Earth. It’s going to take collective action from big companies, small companies, nation states, global organizations, and individuals. ⁣⁣⁣ ⁣⁣⁣ I’m committing $10 billion to start and will begin issuing grants this summer. Earth is the one thing we all have in common — let’s protect it, together.⁣⁣⁣ ⁣⁣⁣ – Jeff

A post shared by Jeff Bezos (@jeffbezos) on

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here