Arguably Vans most recognisable and iconic shoe, the Old Skool has remained a popular choice over the years if not decades. This is likely why the skate and lifestyle brand has chosen to celebrate the model with a new campaign, ‘Make Your Own Way.’
For the project, Vans enlisted Europe’s five Musicians Wanted finalists to express their own unique Old Skool style in a series of short videos. Specifically, the five European finalists were discovered via the Vans Musicians Wanted competition which launched for the first time on a global level in 2020.
The artists were:
- JoeJas, an Atlanta-born but London-raised rapper, producer, cartoonist, filmer, editor and designer.
- The 20-years-old Jazz and R&B artist, Nikaa.
- NTT, aka Nat, a sound engineer at a West London studio who only ended up recording herself for a university project when lockdown restricted her from recording anyone else.
- Ex-professional snowboarder turned grunge musician, YGGL.
- And last but not least, the Italian band that is Duck Baleno, a four-piece quartet who’s sound is described as pop-rock with electronic and psychedelic influences.
You can checkout imagery from the campaign below, as well as some of the Old Skool’s key styles. If you want to checkout each of the artist’s short film regarding the model then head over to Vans’ website.